Business Management Resources
Company / Industry
- Hoover's Online
- This site provides capsules of over 11,000 companies for free. The
capsules include name, ticker symbol, location, phone numbers, web addresses,
CEO, sales, number of employees, a business description, and public/private
status. It also provides links to the latest stock quotes, SEC filings, and
industry publications. Paid subscribers can access the more extensive 'Company
Profiles' and historical data.
American Industry Classification System
- The NAICS provides a common industry definition for Canada, the United
States, and Mexico to better compare economic and financial statistics. It
replaces the SIC Codes. This site provides an overview of the new system, a
comparison chart for SIC Codes and NAICS designations, and implementation
- Thomas' Register
- Requires Registration. This online version of Thomas' Register
includes most of the information found in the print version in an easier to
use format. It can be searched by product, service, or company name along with
a location. The results then display alphabetically by product/service name.
Clicking on the company name brings up a full description with phone number,
address, product list, and a link to an online catalog if there is one. You
are then able to scroll through the full company descriptions page by page.
Business Ethics Resources on the WWW
- A meta-site, a site which exists to link to other sites (much like the ERAU Library Recommended Websites), pointing to ethical codes, organizations
and links to publications. From the Univ. of British Columbia's Centre for
Applied Ethics, there is a distinctly Canadian feel to the links.
- Ethics in Computing
- Sponsored by the Department of Computer Science of NC State University,
this site links to ethics sites dealing with commerce, social justice issues,
computer abuse, speech issues, intellectual property, privacy, risks,
whistleblowing and sample codes of ethics.
- Sponsored by the National Academy of Engineering, this site aims to assist
engineers and students with ethical questions which arise in the course of
their work through case studies, essays and articles. Includes sections
dealing with employment, legal issues, responsible research and
Financial / Stocks
- Search by company name, ticker symbol, exchange, industry sector or
alphabetically for annual reports in pdf format..
BigCharts - Current and Historical Stock Quotes
- This Historical Quotes tool allows you to look up the closing day's price
for any stock as far back as January 1985.
Guide to Understanding Basic Financials
- How to interpret the financial statements found in a typical company
How to read the Wall Street Journal
- A thorough introduction to all parts of this business daily.
- Another source of historical stock price information. Greater coverage,
BigCharts site, but also a bit more complex to navigate.
- Doing Business
- Sponsored by the World Bank, this site provides an economic snapshot of
almost 200 countries along with practical considerations for starting a
- Statistical information on the European Union and its member states.
- Tips on negotiating, entertaining, gift-giving, public behavior, dress and
conversation for almost 30 countries.
Guides to Doing Business
- Tips and techniques for conducting business in foreign countries.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- This site provides information on employment and living conditions, as
well as breaking down the consumer price index (CPI) by region or industry. It
also contains regional information and publications, such as The Occupational
Outlook Handbook; the printed version of this, however, provides more
Economic Indicators (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Current and historical economic indicators.
- US Economy at a Glance
- Created by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, these tables cover a one-year
period on a month-by-month basis and includes figures on earnings,
unemployment, and CPI broken down by metro area, state and region.